We could fill an entire book discussing Playtech’s successes and documenting the companies it has acquired and the products it has released. But, let’s keep it simple: Playtech is best known for producing online slots, table games, and Live Casino games, which it offers to casinos worldwide. But it also produces binary options platforms and sports betting solutions.
In terms of acquisitions, one of its biggest moves was made in May 2016, when Playtech acquired QuickSpin. It also bought the company behind GameMaker Studios and at one point made a move to purchase Plus500 for nearly $700 million, although that later fell through.
There are no companies in the iGaming sector that come close to Playtech in terms of sheer size. If you have played any online casino games and have signed up to any online casino, there’s a high chance you have encountered Playtech’s creations.
Playtech has launched hundreds of games over the years and integrated it to online casinos, including some of the industry’s most celebrated titles. It has many irons in the fire, with Live Casino games, table games, slots, and more, and we’ve discussed these in more detail below.
Playtech slots feature on some of the biggest online casinos in the world and include everything from unique features and big progressive jackpots, to themes based on well-known brands. Take a look at our list of the best Playtech slots:
The Best Playtech Slots
- Age of Gods: The entire Age of Gods range could populate this list as they are all worth playing. These games are based on Greek Gods and Goddesses, with Zeus standing tall, proud and imposing over all of them. There is a progressive jackpot system that gives all players a chance to win big every time they take a spin.
- Big Bad Wolf: This slot was originally created by Quickspin and it still bears its name, but this is now a Playtech brand so it warrants inclusion on this list. This game features Cascading Reels and a multiplier, a feature reminiscent of the Avalanche feature used by NetEnt and the Rolling Reels feature used by Microgaming.
- American Dad: Based on the animated TV show of the same name, this slot will be a huge hit with fans of the show as well as fans of feature-rich slots. There are Pick-Me bonus rounds, Free Spins, and more. All the main characters in the show have their own bonus feature, from the fish (Klaus) to the main man himself (Stan).
- Gladiator: Inspired by the Russel Crowe film, this slot features sounds and images from the film and takes players on a trip down memory lane, exploring one of the biggest hits of the early 2000s.
- Halloween Fortune: This game gets a little boost every Halloween, but it’s a game we recommend seeking out any time of year. The Free Spins feature locks a Wild in the centre throughout, there is an increasing multiplier, and there are Stacked Symbols as well.
What Happened to Marvel?
Traditionally, Playtech was home to a huge slot range that covered the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. These were some of its most popular games and included titles based on Iron Man, The Avengers, Hulk, and countless others. The problem is, it was operating on a limited license and it was a license that Walt Disney, the owner of Marvel, wasn’t happy with.
Disney was on a mission to make its brand as family-friendly as possible and didn’t see online gambling being part of that. So, when the license ended in 2017, it refused to extend it and Playtech was forced to remove its slots. That’s why countless superhero slot fanatics were left disappointed in one fell swoop.
But it’s not all bad news. There are still many branded slots in the Playtech catalogue, including slots based on sports stars (Frankie Dettori’s Golden 7) and films (Ace Ventura, Top Gun). The brand has also struck a deal with the DC comic universe to great a line of slots based on Superman and Batman. This deal came courtesy of a contract with Warner Bros that allowed Playtech to make slots based on films such as Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad, and more.
Progressive jackpot fans weren’t disappointed either, as many of the jackpots used on the Marvel progressive jackpot tier were used elsewhere. Today, everything you could get from the Marvel superhero slots you can still get from Playtech, only now you have to focus on series like DC Superheroes and, our personal favourite, Age of the Gods.
Playtech Live Casino Games
The Live Casino industry was, for a time, something that big brands didn’t go anywhere near. They left it for specialist developers like Evolution Gaming, and as a result, brands like Evolution were able to gain a stranglehold.
That gradually changed though and these days everyone is getting in on the action. Playtech is one of the most active of the big-name developers and has dedicated themselves to expanding in this sector since 2017. It has studios in Romania and Latvia streaming dozens of games to thousands of players, including variants of:
- Blackjack: Classic variants with side bets and other features.
- Roulette: There are both French and American variants of this game.
- Sic Bo: Choose your bets and watch them unfold.
- Baccarat: Punto Banco variants for low and high stakes.
- Poker: Hold’em and other styles.
Playtech Table Games and More
Unlike Microgaming, NetEnt, Yggdrasil and Betsoft, to name just a few, Playtech is not heavily reliant on slots. It has a vast selection of other table games and many of these provide the same depth that you can find on its slots.
There are several variants of popular Roulette and Blackjack games, including a Roulette game with the Age of Gods jackpot. This means players can bet on Red, Black, or a number of their choice and have a chance at winning a massive jackpot in the process. Playtech has also created some unique table games, either going all-out to do something different or, more often, adding an original twist to an old classic.
See below for some of the best examples of this:
The Best Playtech Table Games
- Blackjack Switch: This is a game of Classic Blackjack that lets players play two hands at once and “switch” cards between them. It’s a game that proved so popular that it was later licensed to land-based casinos and can now be played offline and online all over the world.
- Poker Three: A poker variant that was developed for land-based casinos and has since made its way online. This variant specifically allows for player-vs-dealer competition. If you know poker hand values then you can play this game with ease.
- Sic Bo: A popular Asian dice game that is given the Playtech treatment. There are bets of all shapes and sizes here, including ones that have a very low house edge. Everything is paid according to a large pay table which you can see at all times.
- Caribbean Stud Poker: Another poker variant that you can play with basic poker knowledge. If you have played any other poker variant, you can ease yourself into this one without issue. In addition to big wins from standard play, there is also a progressive jackpot released when players land a Royal Flush, the best possible poker hand available.
- Craps: This popular dice game doesn’t always get the table games treatment, but it’s one that Playtech has embraced over the years. There are bets that have an RTP in excess of 99% and the game is also very easy to learn, even if you have little experience of craps and other dice games.
Where to Find Playtech Slots
Playtech provides such a wide range of games that many casinos choose to work only with this brand and a handful of smaller, fringe developers. This is good news for players as well, as it means that Playtech games are not too hard to come by.
It has secured deals with most of the internet’s biggest gambling companies like William Hill, Labrokes, Coral, Bet365 and more, supplying some form of product or service. Just look for some eye-catching classics like Age of Gods and Blackjack Switch and the full catalogue of Playtech games won’t be too far behind.
Verdict: Our Playtech Review
You can’t go wrong with Playtech. That’s what many casinos think, and it’s why this brand can be found on a huge selection of online casinos, sportsbooks, bingo sites, and more. And that can only be a good thing, as Playtech is at the forefront of innovation and constantly seeking to take this industry in new directions.
Playtech doesn’t always have the best games in every individual area, but what it does have is an unrivaled level of variety, a degree of choice that other providers simply can’t offer. It is the complete package, and that’s why Playtech has endured as the biggest, best, and most respected brand in the iGaming industry.